Make this beautiful felt heart-charm in no time at all. This is a simple piece of hand-sewing that you can put together across an evening or two; a lovely handmade gift for occasions like Mother’s Day or Valentine’s Day, or just something sweet for you to keep. Choose any colours that appeal to you; I went for a bold orange, white and navy, but this would work well in pastels or monochrome. Just aim to keep to a maximum of three different colours or shades and you will be sure to create something stunning.
You will need:
- White felt
- Orange felt
- Orange embroidery floss or Perle cotton
- Navy embroidery floss or Perle cotton
- Narrow ribbon (I chose navy gingham). You’ll need approx. 15cm
- 1 small navy button
- Toy stuffing
- Tracing paper or stitch’n’tear
- Embroidery needle
- Download the pattern template here.
- Trace off the heart and pattern using tracing paper or stitch’n’tear.
- Pin onto your white felt, and cut out the heart shape. Leave the pins in place.
- Use 2-strands of orange embroidery floss, or 1 length of Perle cotton, to sew a line of split stitch along the two flower stems.
- Cut 5 petal pieces and 3 leaf pieces out of orange felt.
- Pin in place as shown in the picture – keep adjusting until you are happy with the positioning.
- Carry on using your orange thread to sew each felt piece in place using a small running stitch.
- Now change to 2-strands of navy embroidery floss, or 1 piece of Perle cotton, and use split stitch to sew the remaining lines.
- Finish by sewing single french knots as marked on the pattern with a dot.
- Remove the tracing paper / stitch’n’tear.
- Use your pattern to cut out one more heart shape in white felt.
- Pin both hearts, wrong sides together.
- Sew together with your navy thread, using a blanket stitch. Remember to leave a small gap for stuffing.
- Fill your heart with toy stuffing, making sure not to over-fill.
- Finish your blanket stitch all the way round.
- Cut approx 15cm of ribbon. Neaten each end by cutting at a slight angle.
- Create a loop and stitch in place at the top of the heart using a few small tacking stitches.
- Now position the button on top and stitch in place.
And there you have it, a lovely hand sewn gift to keep, give or sell. I have hung mine up in the kitchen, but am tempted to make some filled with lavender to hang up with my clothes – something to make me smile each morning.
If you enjoyed using this pattern, why not sign up to my Creative Sewing Challenge? You’ll get a prompt each month to inspire your sewing; you can choose to sew to this theme in any way that appeals to you, or follow one of my free sewing tutorials. Sign up below or find out more here.
Oh, and feel free to share my pin – thank you!
Happy sewing everyone!